Wednesday 24 April 2013

Worth thinking about...

'Cosmetic crisis' waiting to happen - BBC News

I may not be that old but I do have wrinkles. I could probably do with a bit more 'lift' in my cleavage area. Perhaps more defined cheek bones. But... I have no desire and have never have to have cosmetic procedures done. The story told by Sarah Payne in this article is exactly what I've always feared and why I will NEVER have anything like this done for cosmetic reasons - her story is horrifying and yet as she says, it's mild compared to some of the things that have happened to other people.

There are times when people have to have cosmetic surgery due to for example cancer, but the procedures talked about in the article are not that sort of cosmetic surgery. They are not procedures that can be necessary after / before disease. They are purely so people can pretend to look younger. They are deemed to have no medical purpose so are not even covered under the same regulations as for example breast implants. In fact the whole massive industry is pretty much unregulated. And that's just it - these fillers have no medical purpose, yet we allow people to inject them under our skin where they will undoubtedly affect our bodies for better or for worse?..

I will definitely buy the next cream that promises a glowing skin, but I don't expect miracles. I hope it will make my skin look and feel better. And after all, it's stuff I can wash off if it doesn't agree with me. To willingly inject my face with stuff that contains poisons, silicone and god knows what else, hell no. And it may not ever leave my body and no one really knows how it affects us in the long term. It scares the shit out of me that that is even allowed.

We have one body and one life, lets treat them with care and respect!

1 comment:

Cali369 said...

Totally agree. And do people who've had stuff done look younger? or just different... And that's the good ones!