Thursday 31 March 2016

REVIEW + COMPARE: Insta-ready makeup?


I don't really do Instagram and I rarely take or post selfies anywhere but the latest craze of 'insta-ready' beauty is intriguing, as it's promising to make you always look 'selfie ready' with minimal effort! And who doesn't want that?! As you age, you become more averse to heavy coverage foundation and start looking for those products that will make you look flawless yet with
little powder to settle in pores and lines...

After being in love with my BareMinerals Complexion Perfection but feeling it was too dewy, I was on the hunt for the next new thing. But I still don't want a face that looks like it's covered in makeup.

I saw this new offering from Physician's Formula on Tati's YouTube video, became obsessed with it and eventually managed to get it from the US for about $25. It's called 'SuperBB #instaready BB cream' and I got the shade 'Light'. There is also a colour 'Light/Medium' which is a bit darker but not by much.

And of course, with my luck, Rimmel then brings out a very similar product over here for a fraction of what I paid in import duties. This product is called '#Insta Flawless'. It retails for £6.99. I chose the colour 'Light/Medium' for this one. There is also a 'Medium/Dark' which is a bit darker, but again, not by too much.

Swatches for comparison

Rimmel on the left, Physician's Formula on the right

Rimmel on the left, Physician's Formula on the right
These both claim to be a perfecting skin tint/BB cream so not a foundation. They are super friendly for travelling as they come in a tube and are best applied with fingers or, if you must use tools, a beautyblender.

So what do they do? Colour-wise they are near identical; the Rimmel does run more warm toned than the Physician's Formula. If you like to compare to MAC shades, and who doesn't, I would say they are close to a NC20-25 (Rimmel) and NW20-25 (Physician's Formula).

I would say the Physician's Formula feels a lot lighter in texture and slightly more fluid to apply yet provides more coverage. You can build this to an almost medium coverage and it makes large pores look better. It has SPF 30 built in, so does smell a bit more sunscreen-y but technically has no scent. It has a slightly satin finish.

The Rimmel is definitely less coverage, it doesn't really build. You can use this almost like a primer according to the sales blurb so I guess that's why. The colour payoff is quite minimal, but there is some nice blurring of pores. It comes with SPF 15. Same light perfumed scent like most other Rimmel foundations. It dries to a dewy finish.

So which one of these do I prefer? Physicians Formula - I love the perfecting coverage that still feels like I'm not wearing anything!

The only drawback is the colour choices for both of these; they both only come in two colours, neither which cater for the deeper skin tones. When I start to get tanned in the summer, I may have to move away from these.

You excited for any of these?? :)

No comments: